Wednesday 16 March 2011

D-Day Minus 2

As soon as I got home from work last night the phone was ringing from Victoria where my father has based himself for a short vacation for the next couple of weeks (my father is 85 and he still goes to the office in Calgary most days).

"Are you still flying to Asia with all that nuclear fallout floating around Japan?", he asks.

I confirm that we are still going as we had planned and that we will actually be connecting in Tokyo on our way to Hong Kong. He immediately gasps and indicates that this course of action will be a worry to him. I hate to add to the list of worries that a father of 7 and a grandfather of 18 has at any given time but I have to be honest with him. I know that this may work in my favour though because the short stopover in Tokyo has now earned a Hail Mary in the nightly Catholic bedtime ritual which can not hurt our chances in making a routine connection through to Hong Kong. I hope to contact him as soon as we get to Hong Kong so that he can drop that Hail Mary from his long list of prayers.

I went onto the Narita Airport website this morning and it was business as usual with hundreds of flights routinely arriving and departing in what I am sure is the typical, very efficient Japanese fashion. Can you imagine that this is in spite of all those aftershocks and the problems at the nuclear power plant.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spring 2024 - In Search of Cherry Blossoms: Kobe

Looking down on the port of Kobe from Rokko Mountains. The MS Riveira is shown tied up at the cruise ship terminal. Kobe On March 29, 2024, ...